The Program admits students to the fall semester only. Application materials are available at and applications can be submitted through the TIGP web site (http://tigp.sinica.edu.tw). The application deadline is March 31 and there is an early application deadline on February 15. It is to the advantage of the students to apply as early as possible. There is no charge for the application for admissions.
Students with a B.S. or M.S. degree from an accredited institution will be considered for admission. The following criteria/material will be used to evaluate the applicant’s qualifications for admission:
1. Undergraduate and graduate academic records or transcripts.
2. The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General and Subject scores are optional but applicants are strongly encouraged to provide it. Applicants who fail to submit GRE scores for evaluation, should provide supplementary information (e.g. M.S. thesis, research publication, description of research experiences, etc) that can demonstrate potential in research.
3. English proficiency: All applicants whose first language is not English must submit the English test score, except those applicants who have recently completed two or more years of study in an English-speaking country.
i. TOEFL: scores of 550 on the paper based (or 213 on the computer based or 79 on the New Internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL-iBT)) or higher; (Our institution CODE & NAME are: 7142 Academia Sinica) Only ETS International TOEFL will be accepted. Institutional TOEFL will not be accepted.
ii. GEPT: Instead of TOEFL, applicants in Taiwan may take the General English Proficiency Test (GEPT) administered by the Language Training and Testing Center. Applicants are required to submit their high-intermediate level certificate when applying for admissions.
iii. IELTS (International English Language Test System): Scores of 5.5 or higher on the Academic Test is required.
4. Three letters of recommendation commenting on the applicant’s personal character, and qualifications for independent study, including intellectual ability, research potential, and scientific motivation.
5. Statement of purpose (Plan, including research interests, and reason for graduate study).
The submitted application materials for evaluation will not be returned to the applicants.
back to top
Fellowship and cost
Fellowship Support and Stipends
The TIGP will provide full fellowship for all incoming graduate students during the first year of their enrollment at NT$32,000 (approximately US$1050) per month. The support will be extended for another two years upon evidence of satisfactory progress towards the degree. In subsequent years, the financial support will be provided by the student's thesis advisor(s). The amount of the support will be at the discretion of the advisor.
Housing and Living Costs
Options include on-campus housing and off-campus housing. On-campus self-catering student dormitory providing single study bedrooms is available to TIGP students at reasonable costs (for details please visit our website at http://tigp.sinica.edu.tw/housing.html). Off-campus private housing is generally more expensive. Rents for off-campus apartments range from NT$5,000-15,000 per month.
Meals are available at modest costs at various eateries within the campus of the Academia Sinica.
The Sport Center on campus, which is equipped with indoor jogging track, gym, swimming pool, aerobic court, and so on, is also available to students at modest costs.
As soon as the students receive their student I.D., they are qualified to join the “Taiwan National Health Insurance Program”. The students are expected to pay the same premium (about US$200 per year) as all the Taiwan citizens and will be entitled to the same medical coverage.